Saturday, March 7, 2009

Flu Season...

In this time of transition from Boutique to exclusive online web store, I never anticipated the series of set-backs I was in for.

As flu and cold season approached, I doubled up on preventative defenses & prepared to plow through it as I had the past few years. But my system failed miserably & as I was getting over one hurdle, the next one was right in front of me. After round three - I think I am through now, (fingers crossed!)

So through this month-long hiatus, I feel that I owe my loyal customers and readers a great big apology for leaving this little blog high and dry. I have to admit, through the transformation, I have been suffering a bout of writer's block, and procrastinating my next chapter, so if anybody can "throw me a bone" of suggestions for future content, I am all paws!!



Speaking of the flu, one thing that has been on my mind lately is the danger of Kennel Cough - a big concern of mine since we are preparing for a dogless trip in our near future. In our old hometown, Kennel Cough didn't come up like it does up here. As a responsible pet owner, we always keep up with vaccinations and are well aware of boarding requirements. But about a year ago after retrieving our pet from her stay, she immediately came down with a pathetic hacking cough. It was something I had never experienced before, and soon realized this could be something dangerous if left untreated, at times leading to pneumonia. Fortunately, a cough suppressant and letting it run it's course proved to be the best medicine, but owning a Weim with sensitive breed needs and seeing your 'baby' so uncomfortable, we were left scratching our heads about what went wrong.

How can this happen if your dog has current vaccinations? According to vetinfo.com; "There are several causes of coughing associated with tracheobronchitis, all of which get lumped under the general name "kennel cough" at times. So it is possible for a dog to get kennel cough from two or three different causes in one lifetime. In addition to that, the most common cause of tracheobronchitis in dogs is probably Bordetella bronchiseptica infection, a bacterial infection. Immunity to this infection is not long lasting even after having the illness. Immunity probably lasts 6 to 12 months in most dogs and when it wears out they can get the infection again. There are vaccinations for Bordetella. In a high risk situation it might be a good idea to vaccinate twice a year for this infection. In other circumstances using the vaccine once a year may be adequate or even using it only when it appears likely to be necessary, such as prior to boarding a dog at a kennel or participating in an event in which many dogs will be present. "

Contracting the cough is pretty rare when boarding, but if you are located in a high risk area where kennel cough is more common, talk to your vet about prevention. There is a booster that can be given intranasally & if you board your pet frequently, it is wise to keep them updated every six months.

Now we can all rest knowing that we are on the road to healthier season, and coming home to a healthy dog. Is everybody ready to Spring ahead? We all are looking forward to flowers and sunshine - Happy Spring everyone!

1 comment:

Fifi Flowers said...

Nice to see a post... YEA... you're coming back!
ENJOY your weekend!
Fifi